Wear your ply with pride pt. 5

So today I flatted the top down gently then roughly stuck the guitar together and strung it. The bridge pickup is just wired straight to the jack socket so I could tune it and give it a play.

I'm very pleased with how it's coming along. I think it looks cool and one of the reasons I bothered rescuing it is that it's nice to play.

The Washburn humbucker was falling to pieces, much like the one in my G2V, and is pretty nasty anyway so I've used an Iron Gear 'Sledgehammer' I had kicking around following removing it from one of the KC90s. This is a pretty decent sounding cheap 'hot' pickup and certainly sounded the part when I had a quick go. The original single coils are OK but lacking in covers so I'm going to spruce them up with new ones.

Sadly, I'm going to have to rip it all to pieces again. As I suspected from when I played it before stripping it down there's simply not enough clearance between the tremolo and body for my liking. I could shim the neck to put a little angle in, but I like everything to be snugly fitted. Besides this is definitely a 'beater' project expressly bought for this and I'm working on it because I like messing around with guitars.

I suspect I'm going to take the paint off the face of the headstock too, so it matches the body. It's chipped anyway.

No comments: