Recently I stripped down my old Washburn RR2V with a view to sorting it out.
The paint on the corners was well and truly scuffed off exposing the nicely contrasting ply underneath. I'm thinking this might make an interesting thing to show rather than hide. Old 80s plywood bodied guitars are definitely pretty low rent but why hide it?
Tonight I took a little more paint off to see what it would look like and it's still fairly positive. I'll have to take the whole top off to get a proper idea but it could be nice with an oil finish to bring out the contrast.
It'll really come down to what the top is like, if there are any flaws I'll have to do something else. I'd actually quite like to stick a piece of pretty veneer to it and cover all the old holes. That way I could go down to a single pickup and simple control layout.
Update: In a fit of enthusiasm I took the bulk of the paint off the top and one side.
It's not the prettiest bit of wood but there is at least a little grain on the top rather than the featureless expanse I was expecting. It's looking more and more like a plan.